Wednesday, December 23, 2009

BQOTT Wants Your MOCs!

Creating a virtual Mata-Nui for the characters to explore is a daunting task to be sure. Not only will it have to look like an exotic locale, but it will also have to feel like a real place, that creatures of all shape and size call home. But while there are many known species of Rahi, I can't help but think we all would love to see a bit more.

So thus begins...

THE BQOTT BUILD-A-RAHI CONTEST!


For all you MOCers out there with access to Bionicle parts from the 2001-2002 era, I'd like you to create friendly Rahi creatures that could potentially be used in the movie!

You have until March 1st to dream up, create, and submit photos of what you think would be a cool Rahi to discover while on an adventure on the island of Mata-Nui. If I think your design is cool, and feels true to the Bionicle style, it'll be turned into a virtual model and included in BQOTT! If they so choose, the creators of the Rahi selected to star in the movie will be included in the credits.

And to make things even better, there's no limit to how many Rahi I select to be featured in the film, just whatever I find to be a good addition into the movie! Pretty nifty eh?

Guidelines

Remember, I am looking for friendly Rahi, so ideally they should be smaller then the bigger Rahi such as the Tarakava, aswell as not simply a redesign of those sets. The more creative the better. Fish, birds, goats, lizards... you name it!

Being that this is based on the early Bionicle saga, please use only pieces found from the 2001-2002 sets (that includes Bohrok). Non Bionicle pieces from 2002 previous are acceptable aswell.

A description of your Rahi, such as details of it's habitat and behaviour are appreciated, but not required.

Being I will be creating a 3D replica of these creations, I'm not limited to what color pieces you had on hand at the time. So if you have the perfect piece but afraid the colors will clash, just give me a heads up and I'll "fix it in post."

Also, because I'm essentially building these models in 3d space, if your model is selected I will request you supply some sort of instruction on how you built it. This can be as simple as a picture showing the pieces you used, or even a YouTube video showing you building it in realtime. However much detail you want to put into the instructions are up to you, just remember the more descriptive, the easier to replicate.

The use of Kanohi is strictly up to you. Kanohi-less Rahi are perfectly acceptable. Use of Bohrok Krana on the other hand I'd rather not see.

How to Enter

To submit your Rahi for contention, you can upload pictures of your creation to an image hosting site of your choice (Brickshelf.com for instance), or even a video showing your creation, and e-mail the link to...

contact@bqottmovie.com
(No Attachments Please, Only Links)

The e-mail should also contain whatever information about your Rahi beast mentioned above, aswell as your Name or a Nick/User name so I can keep track of whose Rahi are whose! You can submit as many entries as you'd like. Who knows... perhaps all of your Rahi will become part of the BQOTT cast! You never know...

The deadline for submissions is March 1st! That should give you plenty of time to think up some awesome Rahi beasts. OH! And be sure to spread the word! If my inbox doesen't fill up with submissions I will be one sad movie maker!


If you have any questions regarding the contest rules and guidelines, feel free to post it in a comment to his post.

8 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for something like this! I'm-a totally enter. Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... well, I find that using some post-2002 pieces would be easier, so is it possible to change that rule? I find many post-2002 pieces very much in connection with those of 2001/2002 (the 2010 STARS Tahu's Hau, for example). Of course I have many pieces from the 01/02 saga, but I think it would be more efficient for you to allow for us creators to utilize any LEGO piece in a way that is reminiscent of that time in the story. Yes, this is a pathetic beg-attempt, but still I think it would be a good idea. Need other examples of post-2002 pieces that are much like those of pre-2003...? Besides the 2010 re-mold of the Hau, possibly...

    - 2009 Glatorian pieces. Not like Ackar's breastplate but more like his sword or armor. After all, 2009 WAS meant to be a lot like 2001...

    - The 2008 Matoran bat-wings. Kinda self-explanatory here (for cave creatures).

    - 2007's aquatic elements for 2001 marine Rahi (none of the Mahri gill-tubes)...

    - The darker color schemes introduced in the 04/05 saga, for... well I dunno, dark-dwelling Rahi...? The silver is all I wanna avoid. We all know how everyone hates the silver...

    - Er... the 2003 elements on the Titan-set Rahi like Pewku or Gukko...? 2003, not that far off from 2002...

    Overall, I believe each year should be allowed for the piece availability. Of course 2006 and 2008 have the lesser-2001/2003 (2002)-like elements, but sagas like 2007 and 2009 (ESPECIALLY 2009) have greater potential. Inika bodies are just annoying, so let's ignore those. -_-

    ~|JP|~

    ReplyDelete
  3. So we are only limited to 01 and 02 bionicle pieces as well as Technic? This will be tough. I mostly have Metru pieces =(.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In case you didn't get this message (because I know we've had communicational network errors in the past):

    Hey, I made a Final Boss Battle piece for the game. I know you don't have anything to do with the game, but this was inspired by the music of the movie

    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1007771&songID=8534980

    Click play hi-fi. Yeah, it's definitely not my best, but I'm sure it'll do.

    I just wanted to tell you because I kind of have my take on the main theme, and I need your permission because the background melody and key signature is 90% the same as the main theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we have a recolor of a 2001-2002 piece, (Such as the silver Onua claw) can we use that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recolors are fine, you can use any color you wish, just keep in mind the original color pallete of the sets was more or less primary, so "less is more" in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TheSkeletonMan939January 10, 2010

    Hi! Just heard of this project. I find it very fun and interesting. Hopefully it won't end up like the last attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found this while surfing the web.

    It's not mine, but it was posted on the BZPower website front page, so I think it should be fine using it.
    http://www.bzpower.com/Imaging/stories/mukau_instructions.jpg

    Here's the front page it was posted on.
    http://www.bzpower.com/archive.php?archive=&amonth=1&ayear=2002&submit.x=16&submit.y=10

    ReplyDelete