Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The end of an era, the dawn of a new day

Those who are reading this blog are most likely already aware, but recently BZPower.com posted a press release from LEGO stating that the Bionicle toy line is to finally come to a close at the end of next year.

As a an since the very beginning, reading that press release is somewhat akin to an out of body experience. Something you always knew was coming yet never really was anticipating to read. Some may feel sad, or angered, but I can't help but feel content. Not because I had some sort of dislike of the franchise, not even remotely. No, it's because it's lived a long and healthy life, a life that many franchises, let alone those based off of toys, should be jealous of.

And though the LEGO company is moving on to the next best thing, I have a hunch... no... I know, that Bionicle will live on through the fans, the most loyal bunch of fans I've ever come across.

So, in conclusion. Here's to you Bionicle. It was a fun ride while it lasted, and shall remain.



Some have been asking me... What of BQOTT? Does this change it's fate? Is it canceled?



No way josé.

6 comments:

  1. I am very dissappointed about Lego cancelling BIONICLE! however, I'm glad BQOTT is still on!

    Loyal fans, eh? Yeah!!! BIONICLE FANS RULE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course BQotT lives on! As is my movie project, of course. But I solely work on the WHOLE story line, to which 2003, 2006, 2008 and 2009 have my most attention... I'd say 2001 but that's YOU'RE department. ;)

    ~|K|~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really sad that Bionicle will end I'll always remember it as a big part of my childhood. It was different from other toy lines like action Man or Hot Wheels, which I didn't like during my childhood. this had a story with a whole different world with fiction that wasn't so fantastic and they didn't look like stupid action figures. They were more than that. Honestly I have to admit that I didn't like from Karda Nui to Bahra Magna and that video when Mata nui rises and the island is destroyed while he stands up because there was where the 2001 story developed and that was the best part of the saga. but nothing can be perfect for everyone.

    I hope you manage to finish your movie and when it gets done, I will be there to watch every minute of it.

    -BioCofMN (youtube username)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bionicle isn't ending, the toyline is just halted until Lego decides that they will launch it again (like other toylines of Lego have been halted, then used again like Lego Knights, Johnny Thunder, etc, so it will return). Story is actually continuing on Bioniclestory.com, and it is actually a good thing because now Bionicle can focus more on story unlike the past where story was tied down by the sets. I'm not saying I don't like the sets, but I'm just saying story is more flexible without the sets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you. The toys just slowed down and complicated the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The news that Bionicle's toy line will come to a close obviously hits a little close to home for me. The early Bionicle years and my following of its entrancing universe were some of the fondest memories I've ever had. To see its descendent (albeit mediocre) universe, in some sense, officialy "close" with the toy line creates a bit of an expected shock for me. But your proclamation that the heart and soul of Bionicle will continue to thrive through the fans is as true as I could ever think of, so I say, long live Bionicle, and to its spirit as personified through fellows such as you!

    ReplyDelete