the Miru precisely does? I know it's the mask of levitation, but what sort of limitations does it have? For example, if you were running, and activated the Miru would you in essence hover in a forward direction, or just upwards?I know it's kind of a silly question, but it's been so long since I've thought about it that I'm a bit confused. I'm mainly trying to figure out what the fine line is between levitating and flying, because I know canonically speaking Lewa Olda/Mata cannot fly.
I believe that it was you needed a running start to get into the air, and once you did the Miru controled only vertical motion.
ReplyDelete~ Eeko
It's almost a "Mask of Aerodynamics" kinda because you need to run to lift off. As a mask of levitation, it only allows the wearer to hover slightly above the ground (as seen a bit in BL#10; Swamp of Secrets). But to fly, it takes much more energy but it seems to provide some form of aerodynamics to the user...
ReplyDeleteThe Kanohi Kadin (Mask of Flight) allows you to just take off and jet through air & water. It's harder because it's almost like aMario video game when you're flying/swimming. You have all these directions to move in, etc, etc. The Miru is only hovering but can allow you to glide if you run first.
..just like to help! Good luck, Lewa11.
The Miru allows its user to float and glide on air or slow their fall. It cannot be used to levitate from a standing start. To simulate flight while using this mask, the user has to rely on wind currents to push them while they stay afloat.
ReplyDeleteSo a running start with some kind of wings off of a high, windy cliff will let the user essentially "glide."
Having a running start and using the Miru would only allow for the user to glide. Only by manipulating wind currents would the user be able to simulate flight. Also, angles of impact shouldn't affect how the user glides, as the Miru is capable of controlling vertical motion. Sorry for the late reply, but I hope this helps nonetheless.
ReplyDeleteIt seems that the Miru was incapable of creating its own upward momentum. It could only allow the user to "float" on air. Therefore the height in which the user could soar would be limited by how high the user could jump. Once at the apex of a jump, the mask could then be used to slow the descent back down to the earth. Gliding ought to then be capable by any user should he or she obtain some forward momentum before initiating the power of the mask. However, sustained glide -a much longer glide in which the user floats on upward air drafts to gain higher altitude- would only be practical for a user capable of controlling wind movements. The mask was not able to sustain a "hover" indefinitely; If no directional momentum existed, then the user would remain hovering, but slowly losing altitude until the user hits ground.
ReplyDeleteThat's how I always understood it anyway.
Hope this gave some more insight..
The Bergness
The kanohi Miru can only create force in an upward direction, that is, away from the dominant source of gravity. It can only be activated if the user gives it a jumping start. Lewa can use it to fly because he levitates, then controls the wind or causes the air behind him to jet, moving him forward. The user could jump as far as the forward thrust of their jump will take them, without falling.
ReplyDeleteSome of the early comics show what looks like jetstreams coming from the user's feet. I wouldn't portray it that way though. I prefer subtlty.
See BS01 for more.
http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Miru